Tuesday, April 19, 2011

ARC Review: Griffin Rising by Darby Karchut

Title: Griffin Rising
Author: Darby Karchut
Started: 18/4/11
Finished: 19/4/11
Goodreads | Review List

Goodreads Synopsis:

For Griffin, it's time to angel up.

For centuries, rumors have abounded of a lowly caste of supernatural beings known as the Terrae Angeli. Armed with the power to control Earth, Fire, Wind and Water, these warriors secretly serve as guardians for mortals in danger.

But for one young angel-in-training, Griffin, life is hell as a cruel master makes his apprenticeship a nightmare. On the verge of failing, a new mentor, Basil, enters his life and changes it forever. It is their father-and-son relationship, sometimes turbulent, often hilarious, always affectionate, that sings through the story like a pure note.

Masquerading as the average teen next door, Griffin struggles to learn his trade, navigate the ups and downs of modern life among humans (including falling in love with the girl next door), and prepare for the ancient trial-by-combat every apprentice must pass at sixteen or be forced to become mortal.


Review: 

Before I begin with what I thought of Griffin Rising. I'd like to thank Darby Karchut, the Author, for allowing me to read an ARC of this amazing book as well as giving me a chance to read, and review my first ARC. Thank you so much Darby!

Immediately after I started reading I was enthralled at how realistic the characters were. I really became attached to Griffin our Tiro and Basil our Mentor. I like how I shared something in common with Griffin as well as felt like he was really a friend. I love it when books make me feel like that! Griffin was such a different protagonist. I think he was my first male protagonist. My gosh. I need to read more. Basil as well was just the right fatherly figure and mentor for our Griffin! I enjoyed the humor between the two and loved watching Griffin progress as a Tiro as well as a person. Nicopolis is the evil sod, when I thought he got what he deserves he bounces back like a freaking ball. WHY YOU SO ANNOYING Nicopolis! WHY?!

I really enjoyed reading how Fin and Basil are together. Its part of why I love this book. Also, Griffins relationship with Katie also makes me smile and love this book more!

Overall, this is one of the best Debut YA books I've read all year. It had a strong plot with strong characters that you can't help but love. Darby will keep you reading with her easy writing and clean details! On top of that it is a guaranteed unputdownable book! It will definitely keep you reading to the very end. I can't wait for the next installment because the ending was so unexpected!

Also! Griffin Rising is now available in E-Book format on Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook! The first chapter is now up on Darby's website! Check it out here.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Naj, what a terrific review! Thanks so very much for your sweet words! And I wanted to let your followers know that GRIFFIN RISING is now available as an e-book on Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook. The first chapter is up on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fore the review Naj !! You're so lucky to have an ARC of this book, it sounds so good !! I look forward to the release !! =)
    Can't wait to read this book now !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.