Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: Feed (Newsflash #1) by Mira Grant

(Click image to add to your to be read pile)
Genre: Horror, Zombies, Paranormal
Format: Paperback


Synopsis:

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them. FEED is the electrifying and critically acclaimed novel of a world a half-step from our own---a novel of geeks, zombies, politics and social media.

Review:

If mankind cures cancer and the common cold, what happens next? What other "diseases" are men going to concoct so they can do something else with their lives?

Well, readers, it's 2040 in Feed and mankind have been free from the common cold and cancer for over 26 years. But to compensate for the curing them, mankind somehow creates/discovers a new virus that is named Kellis-Amberlee or K. A. for short. This virus is numbs pain, dulls out your brain and memories, and replaces it with the never-ending urge to feed off any meat you can get your hands on. Yes, you guessed it. Zombies.

You can't imagine how awe-inspiring, breathtaking and realistic Feed is. The whole alternative universe Mira Grant has set for us is beyond amazing. It shows us the world that could be our future, or not. It starts off with the typical diseases we have now being cured and then the Kellis-Amberlee (K.A) virus comes out right after. The reactions that people had when the virus came out weren't frightened and panic. People laughed and thought it was all some sort of joke. In our age, who wouldn't laugh and joke at that.

Georgia & Shaun Mason are siblings/twins who always have each others back. Their love and bond is forged by the fact that they were orphans who live their lives just for each other. Georgia watches Shaun's back while he pokes zombies with a stick and Shaun changes the light bulbs for Georgia when her eyes are getting too irritated by the light in the room. They're inseparable and depend so much on each other it's scary to think if one of them dies.

I absolutely love each and every character in this book. They're all compelling and the people in the book that will keep you glued to its pages.

For me, the book kept a balance of fast and slow pacing. The details and the world within Feed is just something that needs to sink in before moving onto the next book. The details, and conversations held a lot of tech terminology that I understood (Thank goodness). I fear that this book has some chapters that may be a little bit too much for some untechy readers out there. Also, Mira Grant goes into details about the politics and the way journalism works in this new era on earth.

Overall, this book is the best read I’ve had all year (for now), even if I was bawling like a child at the end. Mira is so cruel to her characters! Throughout the entire book I developed my own bond with the heart of the book, Georgia and Shaun that I couldn’t take it if one of them gets into trouble they can’t get out of. I had to stop reading for a while because I just couldn’t get over what happened at the end of the book. Mira Grant is cruel and because of that, I don’t think I’ll pick up the rest of the books any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. I really need to read this. I've always wanted to because I've heard good things. Your review has reminded me to get it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.